On Thursday March 12, 2009 I along with other member of the ASB community service team went to the Northside Senior center where we were to help deliver meals on wheels for those elderly citizens out in the community who were confined to home. When we arrive at the Senior center we walked down stair where to my surprise I found myself in a small clutter basement with tables with open paper bags and lots of people. After arriving each student was assigned a specific table with a specific worker and it was our job to help our worker pack their lunches and deliver the meals.

At first we ran into a little stagnation because the worker did want any help from us because they felt as though by us helping them their pay would be decreased, but soon enough their boss came out and cleared everything up and let them know that we were just volunteers. I was assigned to a table with Mr. Moose and Mrs. Donna.

What a pair! Where do I begin? After packing our lunches we had to wait because we were short a few meals so we had to wait until those meals arrived at the center. After waiting for thirty minutes the meals arrived and we were on our way. The delivery began with me crouching up in the back of this tiny red car with the meals stacked on the seat beside me then heading out to see the city while delivering meals to those elderly who were confine to their homes. The trip with Mrs. Donna and Mr. Moose was the greatest ride I have every had because they made me laugh the entire time. They cussed and fussed and it was such a great time.

One thing that I really liked about having the opportunity to deliver meals with them was that they were so personal with all of the elderly (they knew them by face and name). They showed such enthusiasm for their job and seemed to care about every single person they delivered to.
No comments:
Post a Comment